Thursday, March 4, 2010

Oriental Garden Pilaf



I was browsing my neighborhood Kroger one night for some groceries and found a box of barley for .84 cents. I thought "I can probably make something good with this" and I've always wanted to try barley. Next thing you know I'm in the kitchen whipping up a recipe from the back of the box and let me tell you, it's good. Will and I added our own flare and put a twist to it. This is what we came up with:



Oriental Garden Pilaf (2 servings)
  • 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth



  • 2/3 cup Quick Cooking Barley



  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil



  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots



  • 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery



  • 1 clove garlic (1/2 teaspoon)



  • 1/2 cup of peas



  • 2 Tablespoons of light (low sodium) soy sauce

  1. In medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil.



  2. Stir in barley; reduce heat.



  3. Cover; simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.



  4. In large skillet, heat oil.



  5. Cook carrots, celery, and garlic over medium high heat 2-3 minutes.



  6. Add peas (we defrosted frozen peas in the microwave); continue cooking 1 minute.



  7. Add cooked barley and soy sauce; mix well.



  8. Continue cooking over medium heat until heated through.



No comments:

Post a Comment