Saturday, February 6, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits

In our search to have a reason for eating Will's grandmas' sensationally sweet fig preserves, we found a recipe for buttermilk biscuits. However, these biscuits are on a higher level than regular biscuits since they are made with whole wheat flour which makes me (Samantha) feel a little less guilty about eating them. The benefits of eating whole grains are numerous, especially for someone on a vegetarian diet and who knew it would taste better than regular old flour? It's funny because my diet should pretty much consist mostly of grains such as wheat, rice, barley, oats, millet, etc, foods made of grains like pasta, bread, and cereals made from wholegrain, and of course vegetables and fruit. In the attempt to stay slim, I figured that eating too many carbs would be bad so I tried to exclude them completely from my diet. In the end I came to realize that choosing good carbs, rather than no carbs is what I should be doing for myself. When you eat whole grains you get more fiber and micronutrients than you would by eating refined flour, rices, pastas, etc. So, in short, I pretty much make and eat everything whole wheat and it started with these amazing biscuits!

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix.
  2. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and stir in the milk until all the dry ingredients are moist.
  3. Plop spoonfuls of the mixture down in a baking sheet.
  4. Bake 10-12 minutes in a 450 degree oven.
  5. Enjoy your warm biscuits with some yummy preserve or as a delicious side to any meal!
Will and I thoroughly enjoy eating these for breakfast, but they're also a great addition to soup. A lot of times we freeze the extra dough if we just want to make a few for one time and save the rest for later. When we make some after it has been frozen, I just take it out of the freezer and let the dough thaw ahead of time and bake them like normal. They're great!

Caution: "Buttermilk by itself tastes horrible," says Will.

1 comment:

  1. LOL!!!! I am in stitches; this blog is adorable, just like you two!! Love love love it, keep the posts coming :)

    ReplyDelete